Thursday, May 12, 2011

Our day in Surgery

Yep, that's how we spent yesterday.  Our just turned 3 year old has had problems for awhile, snoring, snorting, drooling, and his speech is affected.  He had an adenoidectomy yesterday and did great! 
I was fine up until the morning of, I mean, 4 kids, all whom have had a surgery of some sort in the past.  (Tonsils, T-Tubes ect).  You'd think I would have been fine!  I suppose surgery is something that one never gets used to.  I was worried that, at 3, he might be scared or unsure of what was going to happen.  But he surprised me!  He played while waiting, and in the OR waiting room there were really cool toys to keep kids occupied while the "team" came to talk to each set of parents in there.  Video games, bead mazes, wagons, ride on cars, TV's to watch and the coolest, which are kept solely for kids to drive into the operating rooms, a powerwheels Hummer and Corvette!  Kaden chose the Hummer and as it was time for him to leave me, he hopped in, buckled himself and his kitty in, kissed me good bye and told me he loved me.  And off he drove!  Now, he was still in his street clothes as he absolutely refused to put hopsital jammies in, which was not really a big deal.  I knew that he'd be changed once he was "asleep".  About an hour later I got the call to head to recovery.  I was warned that he was quite upset, which I also know, is not abnormal.  Well, I had no idea a 3 year old child could be quite as strong as what he proved!  When I walked in, he was very aggitated, screaming and crying and trying to pull his IV out.  You could see in his eyes though, that he wasn't really there.  I took him and sat on a chair, with his IV arm tucked behind me so he couldn't reach it with his other.  He'd have about 15 minutes where both of us worked up quite a sweat, him trying to break free from me, and me trying to stop him.  Then he would relax and drift off.  His little heart pounding until he'd relax.  This went on for about an hour.  After that, we went back to the ward where we stayed until we were ready to come home.  He had a few popsicles and a cup of apple juice.  He slept soundly, all the way home.  Last night he was very wired, which I've come to learn is normal for my kids after a general anesthetic.  I had to set my alarm to wake him up for Tylenol every 4 hours, throughout the night.  It was a long night for both of us, but probably moreso for Daddy, who slept on the couch so Kaden could sleep in bed, next to me! 
This morning he slept in a bit, the day surgery nurse called to see how the night went, and Kaden woke up happy and hungry! 
We have a bit of running around to do today, so hopefully all goes well with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment